Thursday, January 28, 2010

A needed rant and nothing more

Let me start by painting the scene. I am a student at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. I consider it a good college. Professors here are genius people who write books, and invent things. Mostly they do research here and teaching is just a little aside necessary to get grants for more research. These people are smart. super smart and as a student I appreciate that. My class about the civil war went way beyond the north fighting the south. These intelligent professors give you in depth ideas and facts that you didn't know before. It's stimulating. It's interesting. Learning takes place. So for this semester I sign up for a class entitled: The Geography of the US and Canada. I am a history teaching major so I really should know and really like Geography. and well... I love Canadians. so I was stoked to get into this class and it seemed to be very promising. WRONG! My professor runs it like a bad high school class. Our topic for today:climate. So he shows us a twenty minute video of pictures he's taken of nature. what is the educational purpose in that? I'll tell you there wasn't one. Yep Utah has mountains and California has a couple orange trees. Thanks Professor, but guess what, um I knew that already! It seems to me he just wanted to show off that he does photography. not a characteristic of an effective teacher. Finally, he stops the eternal display of "climate enhancing knowledge", and already annoyed I think well at least he might say something worth my time. but alas, I was wrong again. He told us that the temperature gets colder the farther away you get from the equator. Yes he even had a kid stand there as the sun and danced around him holding a globe. I learned this in 3rd grade and that teacher at least had a flashlight for the sun. I left my family to come to college. I made sacrifices! and all this guy cam give me is that the earth is tilted...DUH!!!! you gotta give me something more man! Contrary to the enriching and learning filled experience I imagined this class to be it's turned into well...kinda just a waste of time.

4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh that is so great. slash annoying. more annoying. i hate classes like that where you can count exactly 1001 better things you could be doing with your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO obnoxious...
    The first week of my economic growth class was maps showing us that countries in Africa have low standards of living.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but thanks for the canadian shout out ha. we could teach that dang class i bet

    ReplyDelete