Monday, November 9, 2009

Black Cat vs. Lucky Penny


When daddy sent me down to BYU for my last year with a car I was more than excited! and that excitement remains. I love my dad and I love having a car, but I'm realizing it's not all bompin road trips and happy cruising. Having a car opens up a whole new album of possibilities for unlucky inconvieniences. In the last 2 months I've been at school with my dear car, Ella, I've had four parking tickets, 2 flat tires (both of those happened within 3 days of eachother!), a stuck window (very cold days) and this last week Ella got to know the nice boys at AMCO Transmission Repairs getting her transmission replaced- that one was expensive! But I got her back and she seemed to be working fine, until Saturday night.
Lets take a break from Ella's woes and I'll tell you about something that happened to me Satuday night on my way out. I was going to go hot tubbing with my roomate Lindsey and her boyfriend, Peter. and others... and as we're leaving I see a black cat running around our complex. Our neighbors, in their infinate wisdom, have been leaving cat food out by their door- I swear if I see cat food there anymore I'm throwing it away! So I tell peter "shew that cat away!" becasue I refuse to walk out when its roaming about and risk the stupid thing crossing my path and thus cursing me with horrific luck. Well Peter had had a long day and wasn't in the mood to shew away cats or deal with my superstitions. Social politeness forced me to venture out with bad-luck-blacky running around wild. Sure enough and much to my dismay the creature crossed my path. A bit of fear trickled through out my body and I knew something bad would happen. Well the bad luck came, and it came hard and fast! That night as I pulled back into my apartment after hottubbing (and a late night stop at 7 11 for a pina colada slurpee and a cholate donut:one word: HEAVAN!) my check engine light comes on and the car wouldn't start. I dissmissed the troubles to worry about the next day and went inside.


Sunday I go to church, chat with the roomies and then I went to go to my uncles house for a good sunday meal and some birthday clebrations for my cousin. I get in my car and... it starts!!! :D I made it to my uncles, had a burger, sang happy birthday, played with the fam, and had a gret time. Coming home then, is when the troubles hit. Long story short the car just turned of and quit running. Over heated and quit. smelled like burning, smoke coming out the hood- it was looking pretty bad. I let it cool for a while and then it started so I was able to get it back to my friends at AMCO.
now it's time to connect the black cat to the overheating car- MY CAR PROBLEMS ARE FROM THAT EVIL MONSTER CROSSING MY PATH!! I stongly feel that people underestimate suporstitions. These things are seriouse people and should not be taken so lightly. I let my guard down and now Ella is in the shop again. I made the connection last night when I finally got home. My roomate made the comment that I was having "bad luck" and thats when I remembered the cat.
So now I'm laying on the couch wondering exactly how much bad luck one black cat can cause. I look down and there shinning amoung the carpet fibers is a beautiful copper penny- heads up! I picked it up with care as releif and hope replaced fear. Could this penny be enough to change my luck over??
It appears the penny may indeed be strong enough. I just talked to Dave from AMCO and my father, and all thats wrong it my car is that my thermometer gets stuck. Replacing a thermometer is much simpler and cheaper than say replacing the radiator or the engine. So I'll have the car back by this afternnoon. I just hope the penny keeps holding through for me!

2 comments:

  1. You crack me up!! I love you though! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hali, I really had no idea that you were SO superstitious! I think its all in your head! JK... I totally understand car problems... Joe and I put more money into our little neon than its even worth... Im glad your luck is looking up though! Maybe you'll be able to come see me! Hint-hint!

    ReplyDelete