Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I got in

I got accepted to the Washignton DC program. I am majoring in History teaching and after april all i'll have left to do is my student teaching. I applied to do this program through BYU that takes you to Washington DC to student teach where you get to do it in an inner city school. I applied with all the hope and ideals and passion a new and ignorant teacher could have. I love teaching, I really do and my passion lies in inner city work, but suddenly the thought of leaving provo has become a sad one. Cool stuff happened here. I made good friends, did fun stuff, learned TONS, grew in neat ways. Meaningful stuff happened here and it's sad to leave it:(. Plus I know where the grocery store is here and I have friends here. The excitement of DC has left and it just looks like a gigantic mean city that is going to suck me up, overwhlem me and leave me feeling useless. I got acdepted last tuesday, but I havn't told anyone. Maybe if i don't say it out loud it won't be true and I can stay in my provo Kingdom where I know the peeps and I know the ropes. Maybe i can postpone being a grown up...maybe. BUT... in the end few things make me as happy as teaching does, and I was smitten with DC when I went a couple months ago. plus it's my dream to teach in an inner city. I know DC is where i'm suppose to go and I know i'll have great time. I just didn't know I had grown so attatched to ole Brighman Young. so here is me being brave and saying it out loud. I got into the DC Program. In September I am going to Washington DC where I will teach inner city teenagers about the civil war and the constitution and hopfully about integrity and service too. I am going to Washington DC.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations. I completely understand the fear you have. But it sounds like a good change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HALIAKA!!!

    This calls for some celebratory frozen yogurt. This is awesome. you will do amazing, I am 100% sure of it. I'm going to start looking at plane tickets right now so i can come visit you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. You are amazing and will be such a great teacher! :)

    ReplyDelete