Sunday, April 29, 2012

frequent Flier

One year for father's day my loving mother gave my hardworking daddy an airsoft gun. Papa was delighted by the gift and began spending his summer evenings camped out on the porch shooting all the thieving and unwanted birds out of the cherry tree. For days the birds came to peck away at our delisious fruits, and for days papa welcomed their arrival as a chance to play with his toy. Perhaps the birds got sick of eating cherries, or perhaps the birds had found a new cherry tree that didn't have a crazy Hawaiian man standing guard. For whatever the reason there soon came a disappointing and birdless day for papa. Poor Papa, sitting lonely on the porch surrounded by cherries and void of targets. But Papa Stew is a resourceful man. A clever, resourceful man who has 6 children. These six children love to sit in the living room and watch T.V, a lot. He was bored. and we were easy targets. I'm sure you can guess what happened. Now fast forward to this year. While out at the hardware store Papa stew found a trinket. (My dad loves trinkets) This little gadget was a sort of fly swatter. Admittedly, It was pretty cool. Upon, contact with bug, the gadget zaps the insects taking their life in a swift and deadly electric shock. Imagine our dining room table. Dad is sitting in his usual spot at the head and I am off in a side chair. Now imagine my defensive worry, my slight cringe, and my slow head turn in papa's direction. I can hear the frown in his voice as I hear him sadly mumble..... ....... ......... ........... :( I can't find any flies :( Also on my mind.... i am engaged:) how can a blog post possibly capture a fraction of the supreme joy of planning an eternity with Matty. July 24th Can't come soon enough for me!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the engagement Haliaka! That is so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I love reading your blog!!! I sure do love your family! You are all so entertaining! Can't wait for your big day!!!!

    ReplyDelete